If a question is not answered that you still have please e-mail us and we will be happy to help.
Q. Do I really have to have a UV bulb?
Q. Can I keep more then one dragon together?
Q. How do I know if my dragon is healthy?
Q. What size tank should I keep an adult in?
Q. What substrate should I use?
Q. What kinds of accessories can I put in its tank?
Q. What should I feed my dragon?
Q. Where can I get feeder insects?
Q. What size insects should I feed my dragon?
Q. Do I really have to calcium dust the feeder insects?
Q. Do I have to use a multivitamin dust or a supplement?
Q. Should I keep a water dish in its tank?
Q. How can I tell if my dragon is a he or she?
Q. How hot should the basking area be?
A. Keeping it as simple as possible is best. Just a basking area with a veggie bowl is all that is
needed. Dragons love to run so don't fill up your tank with objects that block them from doing so.
A. Yes, UVA and UVB bulbs are a must. Dragons use the UV rays to produce D3 which aids in
the absorption of Calcium.
A. A healthy dragon stores fat in the base of its tail and also in the thighs and belly. In babies it's
hard to tell because they are still small and may not have gained enough weight to be able to
visibility see if it is healthy. But as long as they eat every day, shed at least once a month and keep
hydrated they should be healthy. If poop smells much worse then normal or their hip bones start
to show near their tail base they are not healthy and must see a vet.
A. Yes, as long as both are females and are around the same body sizes. If they are not within an
inch of one another, then one of them may become dominant and could ultimately start to stress
out the other(s).The dominant one will then either eat most of the available food or start to grow
larger then the other(s). Females can also be aggressive and so always keep an eye on them when
housing multiplies.
A. The minimum size of an enclosure for a single adult bearded dragon is 55 gallons. For babies
and dragons under 10 inches a 15 or 20 gallon enclosure is best.
A. We mainly use paper towels and shelf liner. But newspaper and very fine grade (dust free)
sand is fine. Try to avoid wood chips, gravels, lizard litter, and calcium sands.
A. You should feed your dragon fresh greens (a list of OK greens to feed is available in the care
every day and as many feeder insects as they can eat within a 30 min. period (every day).
Daily feeder insects that we recommend are crickets, silkworms, roaches and occasionally we
feed mealworms, super worms or mini-mealworms.
A. Most pet stores sell feeder insects as well as bait stores. You can also order online. We get our
crickets from Fluker's and our silkworms from Mulberry Farm.
A. Baby dragons should only be feed 1/4 crickets and small silkworms. A dragon over 10 inches
can eat medium to full size crickets and medium to large silkworms. The width between the eyes
should give you a good idea of what size is best for that individual dragon.
A. Yes, at least once a week. You can find many different brands at most pet stores.
A. Yes, dragon's calcium levels can drop quickly and so you must dust at least 3 times a week
with calcium. If you don't wish to dust the feeder insects you can sprinkle it on there greens.
A. We don't leave free standing water in the enclosure. It causes high humidity which would later
cause respiratory infections. We mist our dragons and make sure they have fresh greens every
A. The way you tell a male from female is quite easy. Place the dragon on the palm of your hand
having it face away from you. Then gently lift its tail and look at their cloaca (which is the
opening it defecates from) If there are 2 bulges
above the cloaca it is a male and if there is only 1
bulge it is a female. The dragon should be at least 4 months old to be sure of sex. Many times a
male will appear female and will (drop) or develop later on.
A. For babies it should be 105 to 110 degrees F. and in the low 80's to high 70's on the cool side.
For adults it has to be 95 to 100 degrees F. and in the low 80's to high 70's on the cool side.
All content, including images and text, on this site is property of
www.CalicoDragons.com and may not be used without permission.
         Copyright 2004-201
8 www.CalicoDragons.com
Q. Can my dragon get lonely?
A. No, dragons can live happily alone. And do enjoy human contact and handling. Keeping two
babies together may not cause a problem at first and you may think you are doing them a favor
because they are not alone. But when those babies grow to the age of 4-6 months and are not both
females the problems will begin! The male will either mate with the female(most of the time they
would be siblings or the female would be much too young to properly lay eggs) or if its two males
they can damage each other and may need vet care. Dragons can
not grow back toes and tail tips
so preventing fights from happening is best.